Voters casting their ballot by mail must provide official identification that individually or together provide their photo, name and current address.

You must include photocopies of acceptable identification when you send in your voting package.

Identification produced by a federal, provincial, territorial or municipal government or an accredited institution is acceptable – examples are below.

* Note that all copies of ID will be securely destroyed once the identification and the eligibility of the voter has been established.

Option 1. A Photocopy of one piece of ID that provides your name, photo AND current address. Examples:

  • Your driver’s licence
  • Your provincial or territorial id card
  • Any other government card with your photo, name and current address


Option 2. Photocopies of two pieces of ID that together include your photo, your name and your address. Examples:


  • Canadian passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of canadian citizenship
  • Citizenship card
  • Social insurance number card
  • Indian status card
  • Band membership card
  • Métis card
  • Card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • Canadian forces identity card
  • Veterans affairs health card
  • Old age security card
  • Hospital card
  • Medical clinic card
  • Label on a prescription container
  • Identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long- term care facility
  • Blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • Credit card
  • Debit card
  • Employee card
  • Student identity card
  • Public transportation card
  • Library card
  • Liquor identity card
  • Licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
  • Utility bill (e.g. Electricity; water; telecommunications services including: telephone, cable or satellite)
  • Parolee card
  • Firearms licence
  • Bank statement
  • Credit union statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Personal cheque
  • Government statement of benefits
  • Government cheque or cheque stub
  • Pension plan statement
  • Residential lease or sub-lease
  • Mortgage contract or statement
  • Income tax assessment
  • Property tax assessment or evaluation
  • Vehicle ownership
  • Insurance certificate, policy or statement
  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • Letter of confirmation of residence from a first nations band or reserve or an inuit local authority
  • Letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form or statement of benefits from an accredited establishment