Trudeau must commit Canada’s support for Ukraine: Conservatives
July 2, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OTTAWA, ON – The Hon. Erin O’Toole, Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs, and James Bezan, Shadow Minister for National Defence, issued a statement today calling on Justin Trudeau to commit support for Ukraine as Canada co-hosts the 2019 Ukraine Reform Conference:
“Canada’s role in the world has diminished under the Trudeau Liberals as a result of diplomatic missteps and poor judgment. While the previous Conservative government was a world leader in its support for Ukraine, the Trudeau Liberals are seen to hesitate before standing with their allies.
“As Ukraine’s sovereignty continues to be threatened, Conservatives believe that our duty to support and stand with our Ukrainian friends should not diminish with time. Justin Trudeau must finally step up and take immediate action by doing the following:
- Supply the Ukrainian military with lethal defensive equipment;
- Restore the practice of providing RADARSAT-2 Imagery to the Ukrainian military;
- Expand sanctions to hold additional corrupt foreign officials accountable using the Magnitsky legislation, and ensure current sanctions are enforced;
- Advocate for the release of political prisoners, including the Ukrainian sailors illegally captured while transiting the Kerch Strait;
- Provide additional humanitarian assistance to support the 800,000 internally displaced people in Ukraine.
“As our country welcomes the visit of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and with Canadians watching, now is the time for Justin Trudeau to act. The defence of Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity should be a priority for Canada on the world stage.
“Conservatives will continue to demand that Justin Trudeau commit to supporting our ally in the face of ongoing Russian aggression. And a Conservative government under Andrew Scheer will advocate for, and lead, a peacekeeping mission along the Ukraine-Russia border. We will always side with those who value freedom, democracy, human rights, and the rule of law.”
For more information:
Office of the Hon. Erin O’Toole, MP
Office of James Bezan, MP