Nomination Date: 15/12/2017
Peter Kent was first elected to the House of Commons representing Thornhill in 2008 and sworn into Cabinet as Minister of State of Foreign Affairs, responsible for the Americas.
In January 2011, Peter was appointed Canada’s Environment Minister and served in that capacity until July of 2013. In October 2013 Peter was elected Chair of the House Standing Committee on National Defence.
Prior to his election to the House of Commons, Peter was a broadcast journalist having spent more than 40 years working as a writer, reporter, producer, anchor and senior executive in Canada, the United States and around the world.
He covered stories that shaped the 20th century, including momentous events such as , the Vietnam and Cambodian conflicts and recovery, decades of conflict, uncertainty and hope in the Middle East, the Ethiopian famine, the transition from Rhodesia to Zimbabwe, South Africa’s transition from the apartheid era to Mandela’s presidency, the overthrow of Idi Amin, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War.
Peter won a number of awards over the course of his career, including the prestigious Robert F. Kennedy Award. He is also a member of the Canadian Broadcast Hall of Fame.
A passionate believer in community involvement, Peter actively supports a number of charitable organizations. He has served as a mentor with the Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council and was on the Toronto cabinet of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. He remains involved with the Royal Conservatory of Music, Friends of Simon Wiesenthal Center, and the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
Peter is married to Cilla. They have a daughter, Trilby, son-in-law, Daniel and granddaughter, Clea.
Additional Fast Facts:
- Born: Canadian Army Hospital Bramshott, Sussex
- Both parents serving with Cdn Army overseas
- Father: Edmonton Regiment, I Corps
- Mother: Nursing Sister, OR, Plastic Surgery support
- Elementary School: Medicine Hat, AB
- Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts (Met Lord Baden Powell)
- High School: Calgary (Viscount Bennett)
- Sea Cadets, HMCS Tecumseh, (HMCS Comox several summers)
- Royal Canadian Navy, HMCS Venture, Naval Dockyard, Esquimalt
- Royal Canadian Army Reserve, RCASC, 150 Coy, Calgary
- Alberta Wheat Pool (Patronage Dividend Section)
- Travis Mud and Chemicals (Purchasing Agent: drilling fluids, gas plant chemicals)
- 40 Years Plus in Journalism: reporter, cameraman, producer, anchor, management
- CJOR, CFUN, CFCN, CTV National News (Quebec, Ldn bureaux)
- Global TV (twice), CBC (writer, producer, anchor The National, correspondent Africa)
- CBC The Journal (writer, producer, reporter, co-anchor)
- NBC TV News (Miami, New York, Washington, London, Moscow, etc)
- Montitor TV (Boston, reporter, anchor)
- Revealed political colours 2005 after taking Global Sunday to produce special coverage of CPC first policy convention in Montreal, spring 2005. Became Candidate one month later.
- First political race: Toronto St Paul’s 2006 General Election. (unsuccessful)
- Second election: Thornhill 2008 General Election. (elected)
- Re-elected: Thornhill 2011
- Served in Cabinet: Minister of State Foreign Affairs (Americas) 2 years
- Minister of Environment 2 1/2 years
- Currently: Chair, House Standing Committee on National Defence
- Vice-Chair: Canada Israel Interparliamentary Group
- Chair of Paliamentary Friends of Falun Gong