Liberal Carbon Tax Makes Consumers Pay While Letting Emitters Off The Hook
April 24, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ottawa, ON – The Honourable Ed Fast, Conservative Shadow Minister for Environment and Climate Change, today issued the following statement regarding the Parliamentary Budget Officer’s (PBO) latest report:
“Today’s report confirms what Canadians already know – Justin Trudeau’s Carbon Tax will hit Canadian families and small businesses the hardest while giving Canada’s biggest polluters a special exemption deal. One which the PBO has estimated will generate $2.6 billion in revenue this year.
“The report confirms that big polluters will pay only 8% of the total revenue collected by the Liberal Carbon Tax, leaving the remaining 92% for families and small businesses to pay through higher gas, grocery, and home heating costs.
“Trudeau’s Carbon Tax is not an emissions plan or an environmental plan. It is a tax plan, plain and simple.
“While the report confirms much of what we already know, many questions are still left unanswered. Justin Trudeau still won’t tell Canadians how much his Carbon Tax will cost them or how much he plans to increase it if he is re-elected. The Liberal Carbon Tax starts at $20 per tonne this year, but internal government documents show that the Liberals are already planning for a hike of $300 per tonne. What we do know is that the Carbon Tax is not revenue neutral – the Liberals will collect hundreds of millions of dollars in GST each year.
“The average middle-class family is already paying over $800 more in taxes because of Justin Trudeau’s tax hikes. An extra $100 a month on a grocery or electricity bill might not be a big deal for wealthy Liberals like Justin Trudeau, but almost half of all Canadians are currently within $200 of not being able to make ends meet.
“The Liberal Carbon Tax is just another cash grab which is hurting already over taxed Canadians. A Conservative government, led by Prime Minister Andrew Scheer, will scrap the Liberal Carbon Tax, and help Canadians get ahead.”
For more information, please contact:
Office of the Hon. Ed Fast, MP