OTTAWA, ON – The Hon. Erin O’Toole, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives and the Official Opposition, today released the following statement regarding the lack of detail on when Canadians will be able to receive a COVID-19 vaccine:
“Last week we learned that every American will have access to a COVID-19 vaccine by the end of June. This means that our neighbours to the south have certainty and hope. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for Canadians.
“Conservatives have been calling on the Trudeau Liberals for weeks to share their plan to get COVID-19 vaccines to Canadians. Despite announcing that the federal government expects to approve the Pfizer vaccine in the coming days, Canadians still don’t have critical information needed to know when lockdowns might end, such as:
- When will every Canadian have access to a vaccine?
- How many people will receive vaccines each month?
- How will vaccines be safely delivered to Canada, stored and distributed?
- Where will Canadians be able to get vaccinated?
- How does the government plan to distribute vaccines to Indigenous communities, members of the Canadian Armed Forces and veterans – all of whom fall under federal jurisdiction?
- When will other vaccines be available in Canada?
- At what point does the government expect we will achieve herd immunity?
“These are the same questions that Premiers, our military, and everyday Canadians have been asking for weeks. It’s unacceptable that the Prime Minister still doesn’t have any answers.
“We know that this is going to be a very difficult Christmas for many Canadians. Business owners and workers deserve certainty so that they can plan for their future. Canadians separated from loved ones deserve to know how much longer it will be before they can see their families. Vulnerable populations deserve to know where they fall in the priority order.
“The reality is, until every single Canadian has access to vaccines and rapid testing, we will keep seeing lockdowns.
“Canadians deserve certainty, clarity, and competence from their government. But that’s not what they are getting with the Trudeau Liberals.
“Today the House of Commons will vote on a Conservative Opposition Day motion calling on the government to table their plan by December 16 to get COVID-19 vaccines to Canadians. If Justin Trudeau has a plan, the Liberals will be able to support our motion.”