August 28, 2021
Fredericton, NB – Today, the Hon. Erin O’Toole, Leader of Canada’s Conservatives, released his plan to secure a more affordable future for Canadians.
“Inflation is at a two-decade high, grocery bills have gone up 5 per cent, and each trip to the gas station seems to hurt just a little bit more,” said O’Toole. “This is the Canada of Justin Trudeau and the NDP. To lower prices, we need to get inflation under control and ensure there is more competition, not less.”
With inflation rising, families are struggling to make ends meet. Canada’s Conservatives have a detailed plan to help families and make life more affordable.
To lower food prices, a Conservative government will increase the maximum penalty for price-fixing from $24 million to $100 million and introduce criminal penalties, including jail time, for executives convicted of price-fixing. Canada’s Conservatives will also bring in a tough code of conduct to protect suppliers and to promote grocery competition.
Canada’s Recovery Plan will also secure a more affordable future for families by:
- Bringing in legislation on open banking so that Canadians can connect with financial technology (fintech) companies that can provide a better offer for banking services such as a mortgage, line of credit, or credit card.
- Ordering the Competition Bureau to investigate bank fees.
- Requiring more transparency for investment management fees so that seniors and savers don’t get ripped off, including requiring the banks to show investment returns net of fees.
- Creating a technology task force within the Competition Bureau to examine whether dominance and anti-competitive behaviour of big technology giants is damaging to Canadian industry.
- Giving competition laws real teeth to prevent a few big companies from dominating whole industries and pushing up prices.
- Standing up to corporate Canada and rejecting mergers that substantially reduce competition and lead to layoffs and higher prices.
If you don’t care about securing a more affordable future, you have three parties to choose from in this election. If you do, then there is only one choice – Erin O’Toole and Canada’s Conservatives.